START DATE: November 2019
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed term of eight months
Application Deadline: October 4th – 2019
IMPACT- Civil Society research and development e.V: is a civil society organization established in Berlin in 2013 and has offices in Iraq, Turkey and Syria.
Supporting civil society is the core of IMPACT’s mission. IMPACT is a catalyst for cooperation and exchange of experiences and ideas between local civil society actors themselves and with their international peers. in addition to that, it offers support to civil society actors and activists with a local-sensitive and holistic approach including assessment, research, training, long-term coaching and financial support. To that end, IMPACT grows and sustain a network of civil society actors, to jointly advocate for democracy, human rights and diversity.
The lead researcher will play a critical role in the research component of the “Building resilience and social cohesion in Northeast Syria’ project. This research aims to narrow-down and understand the prevailing roots and causes in targeted locations as identified and/or justified by the local communities, and to investigate discrepancies between these communities in rhetoric and narratives related to drivers of violent extremism. The research will focus on the causes of social and economic nature, while looking also on the impact of such narratives on the local social fabric, and the role that local actors such as local governance and local civil society actors can play in responding to these causes and developing mechanisms for prevention of reemergence of violent extremism. More specifically, the research will look into non-security driven measures, that can be implemented and applied on a local scale with the aim to tackle drivers of extreme violence, while focusing on the most vulnerable groups of local communities.
- To identify local narratives and positionalities about drivers to join extremist groups.
- To identify local socioeconomic root causes of the emergence of extremist groups in the targeted locations.
- To identify gaps in response to the root causes, and provide recommendations for interventions to prevent re-emergence of ISIS.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of IMPACT’s research and M&E manager and the project manager, the lead Researcher will work to complete the following tasks:
- Design the final detailed methodology and data collection tools in coordination with IMPACT research manager and research consultancy (KII questions, FGD questions)
- Conduct desk review for available literature on the topic in line with the approved methodology.
- Assist in the recruitment and capacity building of local researchers
- Coordinating local researchers and other relevant stakeholders to ensure that the research component is reaching all expected outputs in a timely manner.
- Review and assess the quality of collected data and coordinating with local researchers and other members of staff to address gaps.
- Provide analysis, and review with IMPACT’s Research and M&E manger, on information and data already available.
- Identify and report any issues that arise to the research manager and project’s manager. These may include for example, changes in design, delays in timeline, and issues with the field.
- Conduct data analysis and draft final research paper.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s degree in political sciences, human rights, international law or another relevant subject.
- 3+ years’ experience working on CVE/PVE focused projects.
- 3+ years’ experience in research, has strong knowledge in designing methodologies, managing information, and writing analytical reports.
- Experience of delivering trainings to a group.
- Excellent understanding of the Syrian Context, mainly NES areas.
- Experience in remote data collection and research methods.
- Strategic thinking and forward planning
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: ability to build and maintain professional and positive relations with: trainers, colleagues, researchers, partners and donors
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills: the ability to anticipate, pre-empt and solve problems (risk mitigation)
- Excellent organizational skills and good follow-through
- Excellent command of written and conversational English.
- Ability to communicate professionally in Arabic.
To apply please use this form.