START DATE: November 2019
CONTRACT TYPE: Work contract for 18 months
Application Deadline: October 4 2019
IMPACT- Civil Society research and development e.V: is a civil society organization established in Berlin in 2013 and has offices in Iraq, Turkey and Syria.
Supporting civil society is the core of IMPACT’s mission. IMPACT is a catalyst for cooperation and exchange of experiences and ideas between local civil society actors themselves and with their international peers. in addition to that, it offers support to civil society actors and activists with a local-sensitive and holistic approach including assessment, research, training, long-term coaching and financial support. To that end, IMPACT grows and sustain a network of civil society actors, to jointly advocate for democracy, human rights and diversity.
The program manager will be responsible for managing the IMPACT-led components of the project entitled “Building resilience and social cohesion in Northeast Syria”. The project focuses on tackling the risk of extremism in Northeast Syria. To do so, the project will reach civil society, communities, and families of ex-ISIS fighters with research, capacity building, and protection activities mainly in Deir Ezzor and Ar-Raqqa. This action will provide children with protection and DDR activities and working with the local community on their reintegration, by researching elements that fracture social cohesion and further push communities toward extremist ideologies, and by building the capacity of civil society in Northeast Syria to mitigate and respond to risks and drivers of extremism. IMPACT is one of the organizations leading this action and is lead on the project components related to research, social cohesion and building the capacity of civil society.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of IMPACT’s Executive Team, the program manager will work to complete the following tasks:
- Daily program management throughout the program life cycle;
- Define the program governance (controls);
- Plan the overall program and monitor progress;
- Manage the program budget ;
- Manage risks and issues and take corrective measurements;
- Coordinate the program components and their interdependencies;
- Manage and utilize resources across program components;
- Manage communication with stakeholders;
- Align the deliverables (outputs) to the program’s outcomes; and
- Manage program documentation in line with internal and donor policies and procedures.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- University degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s) in social sciences or another relevant field;
- 3+ years’ experience in program manager in a civil society organization or non-governmental organization;
- Experience in managing programs/projects conducted in Syria and/or conflict-afflicted areas;
- Excellent understanding of the Syrian context, mainly Northeast Syria areas.
- Experience in remote program/project management;
- Experience in managing actions funded by the European Commission (desirable);
- Demonstrated experience in remote team management.
- Strategic thinking and forward planning;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: ability to build and maintain professional and positive relations with: trainers, colleagues, researchers, partners and donors;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills: the ability to anticipate, pre-empt and solve problems (risk mitigation)
- Excellent organizational skills and good follow-through;
- Excellent understanding of program and project management methods;
- Excellent written and oral command of Arabic and English.
- Good command of German is desirable.
The position is based in Berlin, Germany. Applicants need to have permission to reside and work in Germany.
This position is dependent on funding.
To apply please use this form.