START DATE: November 2019
CONTRACT TYPE: Work contract for 18 months
Application Deadline: October 4 2019
IMPACT- Civil Society research and development e.V: is a civil society organization established in Berlin in 2013 and has offices in Iraq, Turkey and Syria.
Supporting civil society is the core of IMPACT’s mission. IMPACT is a catalyst for cooperation and exchange of experiences and ideas between local civil society actors themselves and with their international peers. in addition to that, it offers support to civil society actors and activists with a local-sensitive and holistic approach including assessment, research, training, long-term coaching and financial support. To that end, IMPACT grows and sustain a network of civil society actors, to jointly advocate for democracy, human rights and diversity.
The program officer will be responsible for coordinating the IMPACT-led components of the project entitled “Building resilience and social cohesion in Northeast Syria” under the supervision of the program manager. The project focuses on tackling the risk of extremism in Northeast Syria. To do so, the project will reach civil society, communities, and families of ex-ISIS fighters with research, capacity building, and protection activities mainly in Deir Ezzor and Ar-Raqqa. This action will provide children with protection and DDR activities and working with the local community on their reintegration, by researching elements that fracture social cohesion and further push communities toward extremist ideologies, and by building the capacity of civil society in Northeast Syria to mitigate and respond to risks and drivers of extremism. IMPACT is one of the organizations leading this action and is lead on the project components related to research, social cohesion and building the capacity of civil society.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the program manager, the program officer will work to complete the following tasks:
· Coordinate program activities;
· Contribute to program documentation processes;
· Support the day to day management of the program; and
· Support the implementation of program policies and processes.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- University degree (Bachelor’s or higher) in social sciences or another relevant field;
- 3+ years’ work experience on projects in a civil society organization or non-governmental organization;
- Experience on projects implemented in Syria and/or conflict-afflicted areas, particularly research and/or civil society support projects is desirable;
- Demonstrated ability to work remotely as part of a team with members based in different locations;
- Good understanding of the Syrian context, mainly Northeast Syria areas; and
- Experience on actions funded by the European Commission (desirable).
- Strong administrative skills;
- Analytical and problem-solving skills: the ability to anticipate, pre-empt and solve problems (risk mitigation);
- Good organizational skills and good follow-through;
- Excellent written and oral command of Arabic and English;
- Good command of Kurdish is desirable.
The position is based in Erbil, Iraq. Applicants need to have permission to reside and work in Iraq.
This position is dependent on funding.
To apply please use this form.